US Agencies warn of North Korean hacking group that is hacking and robbing banks around the world
Jamaican Police Superintendent in charge of lottery scam task force shot and killed
Herbalife resolves SEC and criminal charges under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act for business in China; to pay $123 million
Virus benefit theft
- DOJ has brought 41 criminal cases against 60 people so far for PPP fraud; small business administration hotline got 800 calls on fraud last year, 42,000 so far in 2020
- Miami: Two with fake identities arrested for PPP fraud
- Florida: Two neighbors charged with fraud; got 1 million in PPP loans; pretended to be farmers
- Useful statistics on the extent of bogus unemployment scams in the US; about ¼ of all claims in Washington State
- Chicago: Owner of already closed suburban restaurant indicted for PPP fraud
- Congress investigation finds over $1 billion in PPP fraud
- Michigan: Man arrested for PPP fraud
- University of California Santa Barbara medical school finds over 2000 bogus posts on social media for virus treatments, etc.
- North Carolina: Man pleads guilty to virus fraud schemes; offered virus loans to both small business and individuals; also sold goods online he never delivered
- DOJ shuts down 300 websites from Viet Nam that “sold” hard to get virus products but never delivered
History review and recommendation of the week: Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose. How Thomas Jefferson decided to send an expedition to explore the West. The incredible trek of Lewis and Clark over two years or more.
Full report here