California: Three arrested for celebrity twitter hack; two from Florida, one from UK
People across the US and Canada are getting seeds in the mail from China – that they didn’t order.
- What gives? It’s possible that this is something that is being called “brushing.”
- They send you goods and then post a positive online review in your name for some other product;
- BBB alert on brushing scams
Virus benefit theft
- Chicago Heights police find theft of Nevada unemployment benefits during a traffic stop
- Scammers use name of Arkansas governor to apply for unemployment benefits
- US has 30 prosecutions so far for bogus small business PPP loans
- Los Angeles settles with company that sold radish paste as a virus cure
- Hackers tied to Chinese government try to get Moderna vaccine research
Tip of the week: Paypal woes/glitch. The BBB warns that it continues to see online orders where goods are never delivered but the victim does get a tracking number – where the goods were actually shipped somewhere else. Because the item was actually delivered (to someone else) Paypal (at least initially) won’t cover losses. There are hundreds of complaints about this.
Full report here