May 25, 2017
Sorry, probably no report next week
Consumer Tip of the Week: Have you heard of ringless Voicemail – yet? New technology allows callers to leave a voicemail message on your cell phone without your phone even ringing. Obviously these could result in large numbers of voicemails that could clog our systems. An industry group argued that because the phone doesn’t ring these “calls” do not violate laws like the Do Not Call list or laws against robocalls. They have asked the FCC to rule that this technology is not covered by existing law. A variety of consumer groups has also filed with the FCC opposing this proposal.
IRS and Tax Scams
- Six from India arrested in New Jersey for impersonating IRS agents in calls threatening victims with jail if they did not pay with gift cards
- Woman from India pleads guilty in Texas for work with IRS impersonators from India; fourth defendant to plead
- Jury convicts West Virginia man who did ID theft to file bogus tax returns
- Two Nigerians sentenced to prison in Oregon; got identities of US victims from Viet Nam; filed bogus tax returns for $48 million
- Police in India arrest man accused of converting iTunes gift cards into cash for IRS impersonator fraud
- Of 300 sextortion complaints in Malaysia last year youngest was a 14 year old boy
- Leaked Facebook data shows 54,000 reports of revenge porn and sextortion in just one month
FTC and CFPB Updates
- CFPB Inspector General Finds Holes in Agency Handling of Internal nonpublic information
- Full DC Circuit Court of Appeals to hear oral argument on constitutionality of CFPB
- FTC and FL AG shut down large Florida fraud operation that claimed it could consolidate debts of consumers
- Symantec says it is “highly likely” North Korea behind the WannaCry ransomware attack
- As of May 18, total money paid as ransom in WannaCry attack, may be only $85,000 – despite billions in damage done. Victims did receive decryption key.
- UK fraud center says tech support scammers are telling victims that the popups on their computers are the WannaCry ransomware.
Jamaica Sweepstakes Fraud
- Jamaican Police use social media to post videos about lottery fraud
- Jamaicans worried about extradition go into hiding
- Editorial in Jamaica on lottery scammers
Other International Enforcement and News
- West Virginia man charged in Boston for Craigslist fraud claiming (falsely) to be selling rare stolen art
- UK considers folding the Serious Fraud Office into the National Crime Agency
- CBC examines cybercrime in Canada
- Real mystery shopping company has hard time doing business because of fraudulent operations
Just for fun….
My favorite all-time music video. Claymation at its best: Sledgehammer
Add to the News! Have you seen a recent prosecution or other fraud information that others should know about? Send it into the Baker Fraud Report at email@example.com
sign up for weekly reports