Where to complain – and why

Many victims are very reluctant to file a complaint. Filing a complaint, however, may help prevent someone else being defrauded because fraudsters each have many victims.  Thus victims should report these crimes to their police department, IC3.gov, FTC.gov, their local FBI or Dept. Homeland Security.  And report to Western Union, MoneyGram, their banks and any other vulnerable financial accounts.

U.S. law enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)  or call 877-FTC-Help (877/342-4357) . The FTC database of fraud complaints is available on line to over 3000 law enforcement agencies. Because it contains a great deal of personal information on fraud victims it is not available to the general public. It can be searched fairly easily, and may well locate several victims defrauded by the same person.

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). This is in especially useful place to complain if a Business email compromise is involved. IC3 data is generally used by the FBI and may not be accessed on a regular basis by other law enforcement agencies.

Other places to complain in the U.S.

The Better Business Bureau.
National Consumers League:
Senate Subcommittee on Aging Fraud hotline: 1-855-303-9470

If you sent money through Western Union, MoneyGram or Green Dot you should also contact them directly. They have additional information about these transactions, and download their complaints into Consumer Sentinel.

Western Union 1-800-448-1492;
MoneyGram 1-800-926-9400;

Green Dot  800/795-7597

Victims who have shared documents such as passports, social security numbers or other identifying information should take the precautions and safeguards used for victims of identity theft. Identity Theft Resource Center

Share and Enjoy !

0 0 0